Monday, April 4, 2011

My idea of a cardio workout: Auction!


We spent the last Saturday of March at an auction. I love, love, love auctions! My heart races and I get so excited that I can hardly stand myself, not to mention the poor soul bidding against me. This auction is a yearly event in New Washington at the Catholic school. Two rings from 9:30 AM until 5:00 pm. These feedsacks went for well over a hundred dollars and one box of 12 went for two hundred dollars. Wowzer!


Boxes of fabric brought from $70 to $95.


Boxes and boxes of beautiful doilies.


A box of fabric I was lusting for but not willing to pay $80 for. Roses, need I say more?


This odd piece of furniture was a postcard sorter belonging to my dear friend ,Genie Kalb who passed away Sept. 25, 2008. Genie was one of those people that made me want to be a better person after spending time with her. I miss her and think of her often.


Two of three featherweights that were sold that day. One of them went home with my sweet sister-in-law, Margie. One of them came home with me! Goodie,Goodie!! I have wanted one for a while and this one sews beautifully, has the book and attachments.



This xtra small dress form cracks me up. What? It's not a dress form? Really! It would have been the perfect Halloween decor for my sewing room wearing nothing but a spooky apron. I refrained.


One thing that I can not resist is dishes. Especially when a soup tureen and a large platter is being held up and the bid is stuck at $10. You have my attention now! Did you say 53 pieces? Did I say $15? Yep! Those babies came home with me. Now where to put them?


Need I say more?


Cream and sugar anyone?


And just what is this? A cream soup bowl of course. How did I live this long without one?


1910 Women's Home Companion.


Little Blue Books. The titles crack me up!


Old photagraphs


My newest addition. Isn't she sweet?


Postcards from Genie's collection. I never knew that they made post cards that light could pass thru until Genie showed me hers. Now I am the proud owner of these three.


This is the one on the right held up to the light. Oh, so pretty!


Now I have a mystery for you! What the heehaw is this contraption? It is gold and fits on your finger. What is it?


It has a tension adjustment on top and what seems to be a thread holder on the side.


This jewel belongs to a friend that works the auction and has had no luck finding the answer to her mystery. Please help us solve this one. Happy hunting and keep bidding! (unless you see me) ~Robin~

4 comments:

  1. i AM SOOOOOOO jealous of the featherweights! OMG! Everyone on my quilting board is lusting after these beauties! I wanna have one toooooo!!!WAAHHHHH... sorry, had to throw a slight tantrum...I'm fine now... So happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Love this post...we would NEVER see this much 'good stuff' at an auction, flea market or anywhere else in this area...I could absolutely salivate over the photos! So love your featherweight. I have one too...the one I learned to sew on many years ago. I've had it painted a gorgeous red...but I still want another black one someday. Now about that 'gadget'....I think it's a tension ring (my term) for helping feed your crochet thread while crocheting. What the real name is, I've no idea, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is used for. Would love to know if I'm right. Have fun with all your new 'goodies.' pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea us! We totally rock. Almost wish I had paid $90 for that box of fabric I wanted. It was so kitcheny and retro....just like me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin! Just looking at these pictures gives me a cardio workout! I finally have my blog up and running and I posted about you and your sister-in-law. Here's the link: http://www.astitchintimenc.com/blog/
    It will post Monday morning. Glad to hear your dad was fine.

    ReplyDelete